Wednesday, October 5, 2016

The Very Best Master Suite on the Ansley Tour of Homes

I have rules for master suites, absolutely nothing to do with decor or style. I'm pretty sure they don't teach these in architecture/designer/developer school. I'll mention three now and four more at the end of the post.

1. The sleeping chamber must be cozy and intimate.
2. The light from the bathroom must not fall on a pillow.
3. The dressing  / closet / bathroom must have a back door.

Did you do the 2016 Ansley Park Tour of  Homes last weekend? Big thanks to Laura Palickar for the opportunity. It's a privilege to see them and I saw every one.

I remember this master suite most of all. I'd seen it before when it was last for sale. The wise new owners didn't change the master suite. Maybe this house helped form my rules.

The master is in this house:


The glorious stair hall.

Here's the master suite.

 
The "U" shape wraps around the east and southern exposures. A ribbon of windows brings in stunning natural light. Going from bedchamber to office is like walking on a private sunlit balcony.

The sleeping chamber is just right, wish I'd measured it.

"...everyone forgets that everything important that happened to them probably happened in a small space or a small room...Bobby McAlpine interviewed by James Swan for Million Dollar Decorating

You are up early, you slip into the dressing room and exit via the office without disturbing the loved one.

Four rules for master showers, nearly always violated even in the most luxurious houses.

1. You must be able to see outdoors.
2. You must be able to turn on the shower without getting into the shower, without getting wet.
3. You must have some privacy in the shower. Modern all glass showers are nudie shows. You can have all the light you want AND have a view while preserving some modesty.
4. You shouldn't need a shower door.

More rules another time. Thanks.

4 comments:

  1. Good ideas but why no pictures?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most private place in a private house, camera out of battery and I didn't think I would blog it. None the less decor wasn't the issue. It would have felt good empty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for a marvelous posting! I definitely enjoyed reading it, you could be a great author.I will remember to bookmark your blog and may come back from now on. I want to encourage continue your great writing, have a nice Day! G1 driving lessons in Toronto

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive