Saturday, June 30, 2012

Teardown 3 of 5 is done, in Morningside, Tudor-ish with curvey roof on tiny lot

John Willis Homes, Inc. is doing a lot of homes in my neighborhood. I think the experience from many so many renovations here give them a broader repertoire of styles than most design/builds outfits.. That includes Tudor-blend-ins.

Here is house 1 of 5, house 2 of 5, house 3 of 5, house 4 of 5, and house 5 of 5, house 6 of 5. house 7 of 5.


I was surprised to see this on the sign: brick, stone detailing, dovecotes and a "Voysey gable." Would it really look like this?

This is 3563 square foot teardown sold before it was finished.

2011-05-06-Lanier-Blvd-Teardown
I just couldn't imagine it. It's a tiny lot 0.193 acres. This picture makes it look like a big isolated lot but that's just the foliage. It shares a driveway with the house on the right.

P1100164-2011-04-28-1064-LANIER-Blvd-ATLANTA-GA-30306-Teardown-Lot-Garage
They kept the garage.

P1020002-2011-11-07-1064-Lanier-Boulevard -eardown-WIP-framing-detail
So far so good.

P1040124-2012-01-18--1064-Lanier-Boulevard-Teardown-WIP-brick-stone-detail
They lost the dovecotes.

P1080127-2012-05-09--1064-Lanier-Boulevard-Teardown-WIP-near-complete-detail-full
They went all stone on the entrance

P1080895-2012-05-29--1064-Lanier-Boulevard-Teardown-Complete
This one will catch your eye. I think it's very good.

Usually a magician never tells but I think you need to see a side view.

P1090611-2012-06-29--1064 Lanier-Boulevard-Teardown-South-facade-complete-full
Teardown 3 is the 3rd one in the picture. The south elevation is more interesting than the front.


Here is house 1 of 5, house 2 of 5, house 3 of 5, house 4 of 5, and house 5 of 5, house 6 of 5. house 7 of 5..

7 comments:

  1. Yes, quite good.

    Don't understand the brick planter box to the left of the front steps.

    Needs a few stones.

    A joy to only see a quible.

    Voysey I adore.

    Garden & Be Well, XO T

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tara you bring up an issue. The elevation showed a band where the house meets the foundation. In the final work, the brick goes all the way to the dirt. My eye misses it. The planter just disappears.

      Delete
  2. The relationship to the finished grade is more successful in the rendering than in the resulting product, hampering the "fitting-in".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks TDC, I think we all sense these imperfections, but I don't know how to put it into words, let alone know how to fix it. I do hope it is "fixable."

      Delete
    2. That is an interesting observation, and like Terry, I would not have been able to put it in words but see it now. However, the reality of the Atlanta topography makes the ideal flat lot an illusive find. My own driveway is fairly steep, but that gave us a walk about back yard. My mother in law always asks how guests navigate the driveway, and what we do when we entertain. I think people in Atlanta are used to walking up driveways, or walking down driveways. This is a pretty gentle grade compared to many in Atlanta!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this house - I think it fits in well with the neighborhood. It is much bigger than it looks from the front, based on the peek of the side view - I wonder if there is any yard left at all?

    What I wonder about with Tudor houses is now much light they have. Maybe if you are drawn to the Tudor style, you are drawn to a more introspective style interior, with the smaller windows and fewer opportunities to bring in the light.

    My architect once told me that one of his clients specifically requested a house where they would have to keep lamps on all day long - she wanted that darker, quieter atmosphere. In my house, we rarely have any lights on all day long - especially in the summer. We only have a few lights on at night, for reading and getting ready for bed. That is what we wanted.

    I guess that is what makes the world go round!

    By the way, it is extremely gratifying to be able to see the house from sketch to completion. Thanks for these posts. It would be great to have the link from house 5 at the bottom of all of the posts - I have been going back to house 5 to follow the links.

    - Holly

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive