Monday, September 26, 2011

Pictures from 1st Sacred Spaces Tour

Your humble blogger is all tuckered out. I toured a giant synagogue, a tiny hill-top church, a granite landmark church on Auburn Avenue, and a granite landmark church on Peachtree. I hiked the sacred hills of a south Atlanta cemetery, Decatur, and Agnes Scott College. I regret missing the tour of Al Farooq Masjid, the towers on 14th street. Here is the Sacred Spaces brochure from the Atlanta Preservation Center.

One of the angels at South-View Cemetery.

Thanks Atlanta Preservation Center, to Brandy Morrison, the chief organizer, our event hosts and volunteers, to my fellow architecture tourists.

Anyway, I'd like to blog everything but today I'll just link to my pictures.

Ahavath Achim Synagogue - Pictures - Blog: 1st Stop: Ahavath Achim Synagogue APC Sacred Spaces Tour
P1000317-2011-09-22-APC-Sacred-Spaces-Tour-Ahavath-Achim-Synagogue-opening-Aron-HaKodesh

Paces Ferry United Methodist Church - Pictures.
P1000373-2011-09-24-Atlanta-Preservation-Center-Sacred-Spaces-Paces-Ferry-UMC

Big Bethel African AME Church - Pictures
P1000456-2011-09-24-Atlanta-Preservation-Center-Sacred-Spaces-Big-Bethel-AME-Church-From-Balcony

South-View Cemetery - Pictures
P1000508-2011-09-24-APC-Sacred-Spaces-South-View-Cemetery-Tour-procession-detail

North Avenue Presbyterian Church - Pictures
P1000543-2011-09-25-Atlanta-Preservation-Cebter-Sacred-Spaces-Tour-North-Avenue-Presbyterian-Church-Oculus

This my Flickr photo collection with all the pictures.

Thanks.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting these! My wife and I tried to make it to the Big Bethel tour this weekend but got delayed. I'd love to attend one of these Sacred Spaces tours sometime -- such a cool idea. One I'd really love to tour is Central Presbyterian downtown near the capitol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's a little tour of Central Presbyterian from Phoenix Flies. It's so worth it. http://architecturetourist.blogspot.com/2011/03/architecture-tourist-phoenix-flies.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I regret having to miss this tour, but hope they'll do it again next fall. Especially great to have your photo reportage!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive