Saturday, June 20, 2009

Sampson Street, Atlanta Continued

Tiny peach duplex, green roof, chunky dentils, and tasty column details.

P6180406-Sampson-Street-Duplex-Dentils-Columns

This expands my tour of Sampson Street started with my "Virginia Cotton Docks - Sampson Street, Atlanta" post. Sampson will never be in any guide book, just an interesting little street made for folks like me.

Here is the map:


View Larger Map

Irwin Street is more or less the dividing line between the Old Fourth Ward and Inman Park. It parallels a railroad centered industrial / warehouse corridor. It's been "urban poineered" and the Beltline Project may pump it more even more.

We're looking west on Irwin Street from the southern end of Sampson Street. The tower is the local landmark. The diagonal street just the the left of the tower is Atlanta's famous Auburn Avenue, the axis of the King Historic District.

P6180412-Irwin-Street-Market-Sight-Tower

The Studioplex Lofts is a massive former warehouse at the corner of Irwin, Sampson, and Auburn. It's now live/work. They chopped out the center to make a sunlit corridor.

P6180414-StudioPlex-North-Facade

The north end of Sampson Street dead ends into Highland Avenue.

P6180402-Sampson-Street-Highland-Dead-End

Looking south down Sampson. To the left you can see the new-gentry condo building that hosts the P'cheen Restaurant. This used to be a scrap metal yard. This part of Highland is booming with a new urban scene.

P6180403-Sampson-Street-From-HIghland

I don't know for sure but the tiny lots suggest a history of mill houses.

P6180405-Sampson-Street-New-Skinny-Shingle-House

Here are two modern versions of the skinny house.

P6180392-Sampson-Street-Skinny-New-Homes

The Irwin Street Market always makes me smile.

P6180410-Irwin-Street-Market-East-End

Sampson Street isn't a destination but if you are in the neighborhood, don't miss it.

7 comments:

  1. There are some neighborhoods like this in Birmingham too. Thanks for the tour! You've captured the essence of this litte street. I need to take my camera when I go snooping around town too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love old neighborhoods like these...there's a sense of history that one doesn't find in more contemporary neighborhoods. How nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed the tour. The top pink house is very 'New Orleans,' in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved the tour. I might have stumbled over it while on Irwin Street- will have to revisit. I love this section of Atlanta.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Would be nice to have rough dates for the buildings so I can relate it to stuff this side of the pond.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey, the modern version of the skinny house is my house :)

    we're the inside house.

    here are some interior shots when it was built and the house that used to be there.

    http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/667-John-Wesley-Dobbs-Ave-NE-Atlanta-GA-30312/35860199_zpid/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm gone to convey my little brother, that he should also go to see this blog on regular basis to take updated from most up-to-date news.

    My homepage - Awesome toys

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive