Saturday, September 1, 2012

My Ponce City Market Tour Report

I still have a crush. I've been partial to the old Sears building on Ponce since 1968. But I haven't had much hope for it. I didn't want to get too attached to a developer's plan. Know what I mean? Kind of like a daughter's boyfriend: if it doesn't work out, you'll never see him again.

But maybe, Ponce City Market isn't impossible after all. That's what I'm thinking after my tour yesterday.


Every architecture tourist will want to tour Ponce City Market. So follow them on Facebook and on Twitter @poncecitymarket, and keep your eye peeled for the next tour.

You have to see if for yourself. It's big. My little camera was so intimidated it wanted to stay in my pocket.

P1110540-2012-08-30-Ponce-City-Market-Tour-led-by-Jim-Irwin
We signed the waiver, donned hardhats, had some snacks and beverages, and headed to the model. From there Jim Irwin led our tour. He's Vice President of Development for Jamestown Properties. He's an Atlantan, charged with getting it done, and he's in love with the place too.

P1110544-2012-08-30-Ponce-City-Market-Tour-big-building-small-people
We headed down the ramp. It was like walking towards a mountain.

P1110559-2012-08-30-Ponce-City-Market-Tour-Inside-forest-of-columns-dyptic
This part is from 1926. I don't know what to tell you about inside except that there is a lot of "inside" inside. Sears operated out of here until 1989. Spaces like this will become offices and retail.

P1110554-2012-08-30-Ponce-City-Market-Tour-Tower-cornice-from-roof
We went on the roof. I want to live on the roof.

P1110547-2012-08-30-Ponce-City-Market-Tour-Tower-from-roof
Changed my mind, I want to live in the tower.

P1110546-2012-08-30-Ponce-City-Market-Tour-Tower-cornice-from-roof
It's an Atlanta landmark. I never dreamed I'd get close enough to see these details.

P1110550-2012-08-30-Ponce-City-Market-Tour-Tower-cornice-from-roof-detail
I didn't know there were swags!

P1110558-2012-08-30-Ponce-City-Market-Tour-Looking-SSE-from-the-roof
Towards the south, looking snappy in matching hardhats.

P1110557-2012-08-30-Ponce-City-Market-Tour-Looking-SSE-from-the-roof
Over there: condos. They are restoring the metal windows and installing new glass, 10's of thousands of window panes.

P1110566-2012-08-30-Ponce-City-Market-Tour-Beltline-Entrance
This is where Ponce City Market meets the Atlanta BeltLine. If all goes to plan, you'll be able to ride your bike from the BeltLne right into the building and take a shower.

P1110564-2012-08-30-Ponce-City-Market-Tour-Ford-Factory-Medallion
From the Beltline you can see the tile medallions on the Ford Factory Lofts.

P1110572-2012-08-30-Ponce-City-Market-Tour-Beltline-Dancy-Goats
We ended where we started at the new @PonceCityGoats patio for more free snacks and beverages. We needed it. We'd covered a lot of ground.

Thanks to everyone for the tour.

P1110569-2012-08-30-Ponce-City-Market-Tour-Beltline-Todd-TK-Chris-Ana-dyptic
Thanks to tour buddies Todd @tdominey, Me @terrykearns, Chris @guerciotti Anna @PonceCityMarket.

@nfreader and @feldhaus were there too and tweeted some pictures, wish I'd met them - next time.

Thanks to Metamorphosis Monday at Between Naps on the Porch.

4 comments:

  1. Good news to hear! I've always wished someone would revive this beautiful building.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your enthusiasm, Terry! I do so want to take a tour but this post really makes me feel like I already have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much Terry for the great pictorial tour! I love to see Atlanta and all its architectural treasures through your keen, passionate eye.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an amazing old building!! It is so much fun to discover all the details that were put into the old ones. I'd love to have tagged along on this trip!!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive