Saturday, October 16, 2010

How to Enter a Pink Castle

It strives to delight and lift our spirits, not to intimidate. May I show you in via my 30-second video?

There is no trouble finding the rose door. It's the clearest of the pinks and reds from the tile, faded walls, and gravel. Isn't the color of the door perfect? Can you imagine another color?
P1040453-2010-10-10-Pink-Castle-South-Facade

There is another door, the service door done as a window. See the steps in the corner?
P1040452-2010-10-10-Pink-Castle-South-Facade-oblique

The foyer bumps out. It's plain and human sized, more comfortable than I expected. Little hedges and lanterns guide us to a perfect landing. We might have to make a dash during a rain.
P1040456-2010-10-10-Pink-Castle-West-Facade-W-Oblique-Lanterns

No athletic step climbing is required. It's perfectly sized for families. Ladies in heels might need some gravel practice: I notice some "interesting" lady strides as we crunch toward the door. The left window lights the ladies room, the right lights the men's.
P1040512-2010-10-10-Movie-Preveiw-Pink-Castle-Entering-Front-Door

Time to go into the surprisingly cozy foyer.


Mind if I quote "Pattern 130. ENTRANCE ROOM?"
When hosts and guests are saying goodbye, the lack of a clearly marked "goodbye" point can easily lead to endless "Well, we really must be going now,?' and then further conversations lingering on, over and over again."
It's been 6 days and I'm not over it, not over my visit to the Pink Castle. I wrote about the angel & urns and about the garage.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing more of your pics Terry. Great stuff.

    I'm in DC this weekend doing some architectural tourism. You'd be in hog heaven. It's non-stop inspiration and beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I visit my brother there from time to time. Like shooting fish in a barrel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The plastic hose reel is killing me.

    Garden & Be Well, XO Tara

    ReplyDelete
  4. No scruffy, leggy bushes to hide the hose bib like we have at our house. But the service court is just a bit to the right and has plenty of room for the hose. I mean, there's a greenhouse in the service court. I'll got my yard man on it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This brings back memories of a run down, vacant, pink brick mansion that we used to pass on our morning walks. When they decided to take it down, (I was only about 8 years old)I stole a pink brick as a memento...had forgotten all about it until I saw this post..!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive