Sunday, April 19, 2009

Columns from the old Atanta Trust Company Building

They replaced the old Trust Company Building while I was at Georgia Tech. I never saw it in person. In 1973 I began my career across the street from the new building. So I saw these every work day for 10 years. Last week I took a few pictures. Here are 3 of the old columns.
P4172623-Old-Trust-Company-Columns

This is the Edgewood facade of the old Trust Company.
Old-Trust-Co-Edgewood-Facade-LBGPF1-075b
PHOTO COURTESY SPECIAL COLLECTIONS DEPT, PULLEN LIBRARY, GEORGIA STATE UNIVERSITY

Here is the indoor display. Just go into the banking lobby and look right. This used to be a public concourse between the old banking floor and elevators. It was very grand. Now it's a small cubicle farm for employees only. I asked the receptionist who kindly let me see them up close and take some pictures.

P4172627-Old-Trust-Company-Intterior-Columns-And-Arch

P4172628-Old-Trust-Company-Intterior-Columns-And-Arch-Detail

The carving isn't what you'd call crisp. I'm sure there is a name for the style but I don't know it. It's as if it has weathered for 2,000 years.

P4172631-Old-Trust-Company-Intterior-Arch-Detail

If we could see through this window we'd see the indoor sculptures. The reflection shows the white Healey Building. The Skyscraper is the Equitable Building.
P4172625-Old-Trust-Company-Columns-Reflection

P4172626-Old-Trust-Company-Columns-Plaque

This is the Pryor Street facade.
Old-Trust-Co-PryorStreer-Facade-LevelLBCB107-087c
PHOTO COURTESY SPECIAL COLLECTIONS DEPT, PULLEN LIBRARY, GEORGIA STATE UNIVERSITY

Here is your host in my baggy khakis.
P4172625-Old-Trust-Company-Columns-Reflection-TK

P4172630-Old-Trust-Company-Intterior-Columns-And-Arch-View-To-North

When I worked downtown in the 1970's and early 1980's many of the bigger buildings had great cafeterias. The Hurt Building, the First National Bank Building, the Equitable Building all had busy cafeterias within 2 blocks of each other. The Trust Company had a one of the best on the 12th floor facing north. That's not all that long ago, is it?

They've saved some columns from the old Equitable Building too
. The old Trust Company and Equitable building are just a block from each other. Modern buildings took their place.

P2132121-Equitable-Column-Looking-Toward-Top

Both old buildings might have been rotten, unsuitable for modern use. But I don't think we'd tear them down today. The wonderful Grant, Healey, Flat Iron, Chandler, and Hurt buildings are still there and still classy.

3 comments:

  1. Wow!! Those are impressive columns!! It's great that they were saved. Too bad they took down the old Trust Company building, though.

    That being said, I love how the old columns look against the new buildings.

    Thanks for your feedback on our planned blog renovation :-) I read a style book a while ago that included a section on exactly what you mentioned -- if you're going to use different fonts, make them REALLY different!! Which is why I use a larger serif font to make certain words stand out against the standard smaller sans serif text :-)

    Kelly @ DesignTies

    ReplyDelete
  2. At this moment I am going away to do my breakfast, once having my
    breakfast coming again to read other news.
    My page : how to get rid of body acne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Life Nutra Keto is a weight point accessory that obtains alleviation the fatty individuals from fatness and diseases allied taking into account fats. This auxiliary is accountable to save your body in the ketosis state. However, maintaining the body in the disclose of ketosis is not a completely simple process. It looks easy but in actual, it is difficult to adhere to every the dietary plans that are vital to transform your body in ketosis.
    https://slimssupplement.com/life-nutra-keto/

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive