Sunday, November 23, 2008

Pershing Point Park as a park and destination?

The trash cans were full but I've never seen any people there. I felt like a pioneer. My friend Jerry Phillips (R.I.P) used the live in some apartments there. Not in the Pershing Point apartments but just south of them in the same block. I'd love to find a picture.

It's a park
PB181253-Pershing-Point-Park-Sign

with free parking.
PB181264-Pershing-Point-Free-Parking-On-Peachtree

Quite well landscaped and cozy.
PB181250-Pershing-Point-Park

PB181254-Pershing-Point-Monument-Small-Monument

The leaning tree is charming.
PB181255-Pershing-Point-Monument-Patio-Crooked-Tree

Folks don't think much about WW1 these days.
PB181256-Pershing-Point-Monument-Center

PB181256-Pershing-Point-Monument-Center-Detail-AlwaysDark

The benches list the battlefields.
PB181257-Pershing-Point-Monument-Left-Chipped

PB181258-Pershing-Point-Monument-Right

The Pershing Point Apartments were once here.
PB181260-Pershing-Point-1420-Peachtree-NFacade

Looking north to the curvy Ivesco Building. Buck Crook's Rhodes Center is the modest white building on the left. Rhodes Hall is just behind.
PB181244-Pershing-Point-North-View-Detail

The silhouette has a silhouette.
PB181261-Pershing-Point-Silhouette

I guess he's looking at the Mastermind thinker dude.
PB181247-Pershing-Point-West-MastermindThinker-Colonial

The Winnwood Apartments is a reminder of the classic days of Pershing Point architecture.
PB181246-Pershing-Point-Looking-NNW-Apartments

South on Peachtree towards Colony Square and the Reid House.
PB181249-Pershing-Point-South-On-Peachtree

South on West Peachtree towards Atlantic Center.
PB181252-Pershing-Point-SouthTo-West-Peachtree

2 comments:

  1. Leigh and I lived at the Winwood when we first set up housekeeping together, our first and last Atlanta summer without airconditioning! Apart from a breeze, those open windows brought us the hum of Peachtree Street. From entrepreneurial car window washers to some Ansley Park kids who soaped the Federal Home Loan Bank fountain one night, 'twas never a dull moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I visited the Pershing Point World War I Memorial this weekend and I will visit it on a regular basis every year from now on. I learned recently that my great-grandmother's first cousin Private Abner T. Speer is listed on this memorial. I'm his first cousin three times removed. Whenever I come back to this park in the future, then I will make sure to bring flowers, an American flag and a card with me. Cousin Abner deserves to be remembered and honored by his family.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive